Thursday, February 16, 2012

Spoiling My Ponies

Good morning everyone! 

So I am not the world's best cook... anyone who knows me will tell you that. There are horror stories of my chocolate chip cookies and don't get me started on macaroni and cheese. However, there is an audience that doesn't mind my cooking- and that is my horses.

I got the urge to make some Valentine's treats for my boys the other day and here's what ensued. Feel free to make them for your equine friends! 

First, finely chop up equal parts carrots and apples. I used green Granny Smiths, but I'm sure any would work.

What a nice depth of field. Love my 50 mm 1.8!


Pour those into a food processor/blender and add about 2 cups of applesauce and half a cup of water to blend easier.  Now would be a good time to set your oven to 375 degrees so it's ready!

Mmmmm! Orange goop. Try it, it's really kind of good.


Gather up some molasses, corn syrup, breakfast oats and flour. These will be the base of the cookies. 


 Here's the ratio I used: 
1 part carrot/apple puree 
1 1/2 parts oats
1 1/2 parts flour 
1/2 cup corn syrup 
1/2 cup molasses 

  
Don't forget the molasses!


Mix this up until you get a sticky, semi solid concoction. If it's too wet, add more flour and oats. Too dry? More apple/carrot. 

The plus side to mixing this by hand is you smell nice and sweet all day.

Grease a cookie sheet and get ready to get messy! Since it was Valentine's day, I shaped my cookies into hearts, but for everyday cookies a round ball about the size of a fifty cent piece would work well. Spread your cookies out evenly on the sheet and sprinkle sugar over the top. 
LIGHTLY dust with sugar! You don't need to give your horses a sugar rush.


Bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 15-20 minutes, depending on how big your cookies are. Ideally, they're done when they are solid and slightly browner. 
Awww. Hearts!

Let them cool and then prepare to be adored by every horse you come in contact with!
Maverick thoroughly enjoyed his cookies. 
... And then Falf decided he wanted Mav's as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment